This isn't exactly about the Lord's Day, but it is about preparing to receive the Word of God preached on the Lord's Day.
This is from John Piper in A Godward Life Book Two (368-371)
This book has 120 daily devotional readings. This is #115 entitled "Take Heed How You Hear! Ten Practical Preparations for Hearing the Word of God on Sunday Morning A Meditation on Luke 8:18, RSV
Take heed then how you hear; for to him who has will more be given, and from him who has not, even what he thinks that he has will be taken away."
He goes on to give 10 points and then comments on each one. I'll just list the 10 points and some of the scripture verses he references.
1. Pray that God would give you a good and honest heart. Ezekiel 36:26, Jeremiah 24:7
2. Meditate on the Word of God. Psalm 34:8
3. Purify your mind by turning away from worldly entertainment. James 1:21, Philippians 4:8
4. Trust in the truth that you already have. Luke 8:13, Jeremiah 17:7-8
5. Rest long enough Saturday night to be alert and hopeful Sunday morning. 1 Corinthians 6:12
6. Forebear one another Sunday morning without grumbling and criticism. Psalm 106:25, Matthew 5:23-24, James 1:19
7. Be meek and teachable when you come. James 1:21
8. Be still as you enter the room and focus your mind's attention and heart's affection on God. Psalm 46:10
9. Think earnestly about what is sung and prayed and preached. 1 Corinthians 14:20, 2 Timothy 2:7
10. Desire the truth of God's Word more than you desire riches or food. 1 Peter 2:2, Psalm 19:10-11
When I quote Scripture In this blog, unless otherwise indicated, the quotations are usually from The ESV® Bible (The Holy Bible, English Standard Version®), copyright © 2001 by Crossway. Used by permission.
All rights reserved.